stop the madness

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

memories

I've always had the tendancy to laugh at all the wrong things, and then, because the laughter was inappropriate, it became even more funny, and I would be unable to quit giggling. Why is it that things are funniest when you're not supposed to be laughing?
At my old church, up in Michigan, the choir used to have to sit in the choir loft because there weren't enough seats out in the auditorium. This, of course, is an excellent example of an inappropriate place to be giggling, which means it was obviously the most fun place to goof off. It's pretty bad when the very first Sunday that you're allowed to sit in the loft, you end up getting in trouble. I should probably be ashamed, and embarrassed about my total lack of sobriety, but gosh! some of the most hilarious moments at church were spent up in that choir loft while Pastor Hobbins was preaching!
It was also excellent for scoping out all the guys who were in the auditorium. I perfected the art of keeping my head turned toward the preacher, and rotating my eyes around in order to see the male of my choice. I felt pretty sneaky at the time, but I'm sure I was as obvious as could be.
It wasn't so good for the whole note writing thing though. I thought I could write notes, and look like I was actually taking notes, but that didn't work out so well. There was this one man (doggone him anyway), who would always let me know when I'd been passing notes (like I didn't already know that I'd written a note and passed it to my friend). I don't know how he always knew...I tried to trick him and take notes for real, but he was never fooled. Old fossil.
I'd try and relate an incident to you, my dear readers, but I'm afraid you would find it a bland tale, if not downright boring. And that's the magic of it. At the time, our laughter was almost uncontrollable, due to the total hilarity of the moment...but most of the hilarity (I think) was due to the fact that we weren't supposed to be laughing at all.

Or maybe it was just because I was fifteen years old.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger joydle said…

    I know...good memories

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger joydle said…

    ha!! I remember that! Yes...except, Ruth and I weren't trying to sleep, only you were. :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home