stop the madness

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Must love children

Why is it that certain people think I just love their children? Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like their kids, but just because I don't dislike them doesn't mean I want to hold one of them every time I see them, or take them on special road trips with me. I love looking at children (unless I'm in a super crabby mood), commenting on their cuteness, or even having a short conversation with them, if time permits. However, I've only been given the grace to handle and deal with my own child for long periods of time. Other children begin to wear on me very quickly, which is the main reason I've not babysat for anyone ever since I was 16. I just wish that some parents would realize that not everyone loves and adores their child as much as they do. Just because *they* love spending tons of time with their kids doesn't mean that *I* love to as well!
Case in point.
I, as well as another family, were going to the airport to greet some members of our church who were returning from a missions trip. David was working the evening shift, and Alexis was not yet born, so I was driving alone.
The other family wanted to meet me in Meijer's parking lot, and have me follow them to the airport. Aside from feeling slightly irked that they thought I couldn't get there on my own, I didn't mind. However, not only did they not believe that I could make it there, they apparently didn't think that I should even be driving alone.

"Joy, you shouldn't have to drive all alone!! Here, Caden would love to drive up with you," *turns to child* "Wouldn't you Caden?"

The little 5 year old boy jumps from the vehicle with a huge grin, and starts talking a mile a minute about the last time they went to the airport.
Inwardly I cringed, but I was not about to hurt his feelings by telling him that I actually *wanted* to drive by myself. It was not his fault that his mom was rude.
So (after they spent 15 minutes putting his car seat in the back seat of my car), I spent the next 45 minutes listening to Caden talk. Growing up in a big family (oldest of 8), I had certainly learned how to tune little voices out, so I retreated into my own world between his questions. He only caught me once when I snapped back into the conversation and asked what color his new tie was. "But Joy, I just told you what color it was! Weren't you listening?!"

heh. Actually, no kid, I was thinking about how nice my quiet house was, and how much I missed it.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Totally agree w/both of you ladies. You seem to be great parents!!

    It must be annoying to assume that just because one is a Mom that you'd wanna hold each and everyone's kids! NOT!:)

    Is it just me, but not a lot of parents behaved that way in the 70's, when I was a child?? Of course, you did have some fawning over a baby/kid, that's normal, but there are some limits/boundaries that people enforced/respected then. Limits, a word sadly going out of usage!!

    A fan of your blog from Quebec

     

Post a Comment

<< Home