stop the madness

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Face-plants Pt. 2

So yesterday, I was blading with my friend on the trail that we blade on 3 times a week. We bladed safely on very uneven, bumpy asphalt, thru a mud-covered 'construction-site' (as all the construction men stopped their work and stared as they always do...no wonder it's taken them a year to finish, they can't work and watch girls at the same time), and over a pebble-strewn area, with hardly a pause. The trail was pretty deserted for the most part, until we reached the 4 mile marker. We had just passed a jogger, and had two bikes approaching on the left, when I suddenly found myself face-down on the pavement. I didn't even know I was falling until I was all the way down. I wanted to hop up, and laugh to let everyone know I was fine, and not at all embarrassed, but I was too dazed and surprised to do anything besides sit up, and try to shake my head clear. Talk about bad timing. Why couldn't my skate have malfunctioned (the hook on the right one caught the strap of the left one) when no one was around?!?
Of course, I *did* manage to get up before any of the observers were passing, but my hands were all cut up and bleeding, as was my elbow, and the front of both thighs. I looked like a wreck. But it must have been funny to see...I probably would've laughed at myself if I'd been watching from somewhere else. Unfortunately though, I wasn't able to have an out-of-body experience, and was stuck inside myself the entire time.
Of course today I'm achy and sore...in fact, I'm trying to convince myself that that's a good reason to not work out before lunch. I at least need to put band-aids on my palms to keep the weights from twisting my mangled flesh completely off.
So anyway -- ya, I hate falling down. It's always embarrassing, and you always feel completely stoopid. I hope this was my fall for the decade, and I won't have to experience the lovely humiliating feeling again for a long time.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger joydle said…

    Wow...I'd find ways to be 'out' when that visitor wants to come back with her little terror of a child! I totally understand your irritation. Bratty kids are horrid, and I can't stand them. After two minutes I have to leave before I say something rude to the parent.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger joydle said…

    Ya, it does hurt worse today -- it even hurts worse than it did this afternoon. Feels like I've been run over by a small truck. Maybe blading tomorrow will help me to loosen up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home