stop the madness

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Boxing

I love experiencing new things! On Saturday evening, I went to Memorial Hall to watch 'Guns & Hoses', which is where Firefighters and Police Officers box one another. It was an event held to raise money for the SAFE foundation, to help support the families of those whose spouse/parent has died in the line of active duty.

Of course David signed up as soon as he heard about the boxing matches and training, even though he had never boxed (aside from owning a speed bag, and a heavy-weight bag) before. His trainers were quite impressed with his natural talent, and didn't believe him when he told them he'd never trained before.
Unfortunately, about three weeks before the event, another boxer hit him in the ribs during a sparring match. And when he volunteered to fight another guy after that, he was hit in the ribs again. After being in a lot of pain for a week, he went in to a chiropractor who adjusted him, and popped the rib back into place (it had been jammed up quite a bit).

Obviously this type of injury halts training. And his halted all the way up to the day of the event. But at least his ribs were healed. However, he hadn't wanted to tell the coaches about the injury for fear that they'd not allow him to fight; so they assigned him to a big guy. A guy who was taller, and outweighed him by 30 lbs.

There were 23 fights, and David's was the 17th. We (friends and family) had excellent seats, and were having fun cheering for the Blue corner (police). I'd never been to a boxing match before, and enjoyed it a lot. The roar of the crowd when someone got a good hit, the louder roar when someone was knocked down, and the wild cheering that took place (at least in our section) when the police won.

We also enjoyed mocking the Miller Lite girls who walked around the ring in mini-skirts holding the Round number signs. One was called 'Mullet', which was a very accurate description of her hairstyle. The other was 'Stumpy', which was an accurate description of her legs. (Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against women with stumpy legs--just don't parade around in a mini as though you look hot ).

I can't describe how knotted my stomach felt as David came out of the smoky tunnel, but I screamed, whooped, and hollered loud enough to wake the dead. I wanted everyone there to know just how proud of him I was. It was very exciting, and I loved the rush of adrenaline I got as David danced around the ring. I stood the entire fight, and watched as he gave that big guy a run for his money!

It all came down to the last round, and I could tell David was really tired. It was close though, and nobody was quite sure who would win. Apparently the firefighter had thrown more punches, because he was named the winner, and stepped forward to accept his prize.

The guy was bigger, and I'm sure he'd been training the last 3 weeks before the match, yet David still kept up with him and made it a close, exciting match. He never gave up, cowered, or backed down. He took the punches, and gave his back. I felt SO proud of him that evening. He did an awesome job, and I loved watching him!

Fun times

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home