stop the madness

If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Pests

Before Alexis was born, I decided that I would not be allowing young children to hold her. Our church has an abundance of children, and it seems that half of them are trying to carry around the other half most of the time.

After Alexis was born, I became the meanest mother in church, when I refused to allow the horde of little girls to pass my newborn around. Despite the fact that I repeatedly told these girls no week after week, they continued to ask. After about 6 months, they finally got the picture (not everyone can love children AND be smart), and would just talk to her as I held her. I think I developed a dislike for these girls, due to the 6 months of nagging.

Alexis started walking at 9 months of age. At first, seeing as she was pretty unstable, I would walk around the church holding her hand. Now that she's practically running, however, I prefer to just keep an eye on her from wherever I happen to be standing. She loves all the other kids her age, and I'm pretty sure she's been casting eyes at the cute little 2-year-old boy who likes to run around with her.

Up until two weeks ago, everyone seemed to remember that she's to be left on the ground. And then Levi, a cute older boy, whom she's 'talked' to since she was born, picked her up. I'd never told him no, so I didn't mind, but went over to tell him I preferred her to be left on the ground. Before I could even get to him, a gaggle of girls surrounded him and started (literally) grabbing for my child. I was taking on heat as I crossed the auditorium, and watched as an older girl pulled an unwilling Alexis from his arms.

Fortunately for all involved, I'm a mature woman. I calmly took Alexis, who appeared shaken from the pulling and grabbing experience, and said we had to be going. At the next service, I explained to Levi why I didn't want her to being held by all the little girls, and asked that he also leave her down, so that no one could complain.

Tonight I watched Lexi waddle to the back, and promptly get picked up by a very young, very small child. Entering the group of girls, I informed them that I didn't want Alexis to be held, and to please not pick her up. Two minutes later, another girl from within that group picked her up.

What is up with this?!?! Do I have to spray her with skunk spray to keep these kids OFF? I know she's pretty adorable, but you can worship from afar, for goodness' sake. Is it so enjoyable to hold her for the 10 seconds it takes for me to reach them, that they don't mind my taking her and telling them to leave her alone? I was polite, smiling and kind when I spoke to the first girl. With the second one, I lost the smile, and the 'please'.


If this keeps up I'm gonna have to lasso my cop man and have him come in, in uniform, and scare them witless.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Having an eleven year old hold your child is not going to hurt your child. You child needs to bond with others. Holy cow - I think you have some obsessive complusive thing going on. Let your kid be a kid.

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Blogger joydle said…

    anon 1, thanx, glad you enjoy the reading!

    anon 2, my child bonds with others quite fine without being carried around by them. And it's not just one child, it's a whole group of kids who do nothing but run around the auditorium holding small babies. Sorry, but that's NOT safe, or smart. But geez, why am I defending myself to some nameless person who has no idea what the situation looks like, and is just judging from one sarcastic post?

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally agree w/Alexis's mom. It's not paranoia, but I clearly imagine the ruckus it can make passing a baby around.

    And if you say yes to one, then it can't be fair for the other kids...

    I'd let a kid hold the baby under strict supervision @ the house, along w/other adults present.

    But that's me. I don't even have kids yet I totally get this Mom.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home